Friday, August 3, 2007

Just make sure you make the right choice

I took this quote from someones LDSlinkup profile today. I thought it was really interesting that a nice LDS boy had posted this on a predominantly conservative, Romney- supporting site.

Its good to know that not everyone is a follower but is also listening to their own hearts and gut instinct.

DISCLAIMER: No, i am not picking political sides , BUT i think its good for everyone to be aware of what people are saying and that the mud slinging is everywhere.




"I am glad [detainees] are at Guantanamo. I don’t want them on our soil. I want them on Guantanamo, where they don’t get the access to lawyers they get when they’re on our soil. I don’t want them in our prisons, I want them there. Some people have said we ought to close Guantanamo. My view is we ought to double Guantanamo."

--Mitt Romney

Another Gem from Mitt:

"Hillary Clinton just gave a speech the other day about her view on the economy. She said we have been an on-your-own society. She said it's time to get rid of that and replace that with shared responsibility and we're-in-it-together society," Romney told the crowd. "That's out with Adam Smith and in with Karl Marx."

PS: no, I'm not going to post who it was that has this on their profile.

----------------
Listening to: Bonobo - Noctuary
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Tannertrue said...

The more I think about it. The less I want to be "into" politics. Because all the people that I know that are "into politics" are all sad, angry people who lead relatively joyless lives. They live for the next argument.

That doesn't mean I am uninformed or unaware. But, I feel that this perpetual political mindset people walk around with is what is dividing the country. And that's bad for everyone.

Poli Sci Guy said...

I am completely perplexed by what this blog even means :-/

Is there something wrong with those statements? I don't see any slinging going on in either of them...

I don't get it :-/

Mud slinging in politics is indeed gross but attacks on the policies your opponents propose is one of the fundamental ways we make choices.

A politician may paint a very rosy picture of what they envisage and it is the responsibility of the opposition to contrast that and create a balanced picture.

And yes, you are right, as consumers in a democratic society we need to pay attention to both sides of the arguments and not label them as 'mud slingers' for doing their jobs.

Bottom line:

personal attacks = no

debates on matters of policy = absolutely necessary